Locomotives Dimensions - EMD SD70ACe
I came across a low-resolution SD70ACe general arrangement diagram online illustrating many of the frame and hood dimensions. I used these dimensions in both the 1:36 and 1:18 renditions of the SD70ACe and SD70M-2. The drawing below lists all the dimensions I used from the general arrangement diagram.
- Some dimensions have been rounded off to the nearest 0.25" (since that's the finest increment in the 1:18 drawings).
- The underframe and coupler height were listed as 73.0" and 34.5" in the general arrangement diagram, based on a 43" wheel diameter. However, since I drew my 1:18 rendition of the HTCR truck with 42" wheels, those dimensions in my drawing are 72.5" and 34.0" respectively.
- The specified location of the seam at the front of the hood did not line up with photos (it was off by 1.75") so I based that dimension on photos. The two altered dimensions (as used in my drawing) are listed in red.
- The drawing shows an SD70ACe with HTCR trucks. The inner axle spacing is 4" shorter on the HTSC truck, leaving a 4" larger gap between the truck frame and fuel tank.
- The truck centers are measured from the pivot pin, which is 15.75" outside the middle axle of each truck.