Locomotives Dimensions - MLW C-424
In May 2013, I made a trip to Exporail and took ground-level measurements of many of the locomotives there. The first drawings to benefit from these measurements were MLW C-424 variations.
- Several dimensions in the drawing were based on hood measurements I had taken from MLW M-636 #4723; some of these dimensions are illustrated.
- Most dimensions also apply to other ALCO/MLW C-424 and C-425 units.
- Most hood and handrail dimensions are the same on both sides.
- The corner steps extend beyond the pilot face by 3", a distinct feature of MLW Century units and M-liners.
- Some dimensions varied slightly between the two units at Exporail (C-424 #4237 and C-424 control cab #1100). As #1100 was a wreck rebuild, I prioritized dimensions from #4237.
- The 4th handrail stanchion from the rear was moved rearward from the as-built position due to modified battery box hatches.