Locomotive Phases - GE B23-7, B30-7, B30-7A, B36-7
These phases are of my own making.
|Left side sill access hatches||5||2||3|
|Truck centers||36' 2"|
(equal distance from pilots)
(rear truck moved 1' rearward)
(rear truck 6" closer
to pilot than front)
|Jacking pads||plain||flat metal plate on underside|
|Hinged panels under radiators||3 bolts, straight bottom edge||central latch, notched bottom edge|
|Exhaust||small stack, no silencer, narrow base||large stack/silencer, wide base|
|Rear class lights||high||low|
|Cab side windows||4||2|
|Overall length||62' 2"||61' 2"|
|Left-side hatches under cab||2 narrow, 3 wide;|
small latches; bolted panel at front
|1 wide, 1 narrow, 3 wide;|
large latches; no bolted panel
|Cab vent||circular, on roof||rectangular, behind cab|
(inconsistent in Phase 3a)
|Hinged panels on hood ends||No||Yes|
|Long hood grabirons||Closer spacing|
|Short hood left-side louvres||Yes||No|
|Short hood headlight housing||present on all units (blanked off when lights not installed)||present only with|
|Hood doors behind cab||no bolted strip behind hood door closest to cab||bolted strip added, first|
2 hood doors narrowed
- BQ23-7 units are Phase 1b.
- B30-7A, B30-7A1 and B30-7AB units are all Phase 3.
- B36-7 units are Phase 3, except for SSW 7770-7773, which are Phase 2c.
- Models of all phases may or may not have louvres under the cab on the right side.
- Doors under forward section of radiator may or may not have 3 narrow vertical intakes. Some units had such intakes retrofitted.
- Most Phase 2c units have a short exhaust silencer (as on concurrent 6-axle units); Phase 3 and some Phase 2c units have a taller exhaust silencer.