Scale Train Drawings
Welcome to the Trainiax drawings page! This is a collection of drawings that I have been working on since late 2000.
Happy New Year! The eighteenth year of drawings has now past - and it yielded the highest drawing total since 2010 and the best year yet for the 1:18 series. The last drawings of 2016 were a wide assortment of GE Dash-7 models. Here's the breakdown for the year 2016:
- 227 EMD/GMD locomotives
- 77 GE locomotives
- 6 MLW locomotives
- 6 painted locomotives
- 316 drawings total
The number of all-new models introduced in 2016 was more modest than the high drawing total would suggest. They included the EMD SW1001, GP15D/GP20D, GP20C-ECO, SD40-2F and SD70M-2/SD70ACe, and GE six-axle Dash-7 series. There were also some new models that were based on earlier drawings, such as the EMD SD38 and SD38-2, and GE BQ23-7 and ES44AC. The rest were variations of common models. Some new models that were in progress at the start of 2016 have yet to be completed.
I haven't yet capitalized on a huge assortment of locomotive measurements I took of preserved locomotives at Exporail in 2015, mostly of MLW models. For 2017 I hope to finally introduce ALCO as a builder in the 1:18 series, along with continuing the trend of more painted locomotives that started in the last weeks of 2016.
Older 1:55 drawings
I haven't yet incorporated all the 1:55 drawings into the drawing search pages above. The remaining drawings are still listed on the older 1:55 pages:
Requests and Progress
- Website Building—How I created this site
- Drawing Accuracy—How accurate are the drawings?
- Drawing History—Early drawing history and a detailed look at what's behind the 1:55, 1:36 and other series
- Creating the Drawings—The making of the drawings behind the scenes
- Locomotive Phases and Rosters—Different versions of the same locomotive model
- Locomotive Dimensions and Measurements
- Locomotive Components
About the Drawings
- All of my drawings, painted or undecorated, are of real locomotives and rolling stock.
- All of my completed drawings are online, and they exist only as they appear here; I have no higher-resolution or vector versions.
- Contributed drawings from previous years (2006 and earlier) are online, but I no longer post new contributions.
- I do take requests for new drawings. I can never guarantee their completion, but I try to fill them out regularly.
Personal Use: The drawings are free for all personal uses at no cost. My written permission is not necessary for personal use.
Non-personal use: Please contact me for any form of non-personal use of the drawings, such as display on other websites. Commercial use of the drawings is prohibited without my permission.
Check out the Links page for websites with other drawings, including modified versions of the drawings posted on this site.
Any non-personal use of contributed drawings requires permission from the original artists. Email me if you would like to contact them.