Scale Train Drawings
Welcome to the Trainiax drawings page! This is a collection of drawings that I have been working on since late 2000.
As it happens, 2016 has started with a bang! Already the second new model that was underway in 2015 has been completed - the first 1:18 6-axle Dash-7 drawings (starting with the C30-7).
Well, another year has come and gone! 2015 was a bit of a strange year for drawings. I reached my yearly goal of 175 drawings quite early - at the beginning of September - but I only did 10 more drawings over the remainder of the year. The reason: I started a number of new locomotive models and made progress on all of them, but didn't finish any before year-end.
Here is the final total for 2015:
- 116 EMD locomotives
- 62 GE locomotives
- 8 painted locomotives
Diversity for 2015 was limited - no locomotives from minor builders (not even ALCO) and no rolling stock. However, some of my railfanning outings from 2015 promise to change that, as I was able to get detailed real-world measurements from a host of ALCO/MLW locomotives.
For 2016, I hope to put those ALCO/MLW measurements to use in the drawings, as well as complete the various EMD and GE locomotives that are in progress (including some rare or unusual models). Already one of the models that was in progress for a couple of months in 2015 is now completed - the EMD SW1001, the first drawing of 2016 and the first switcher model to make it to 1:18.
Older 1:55 drawings
I haven't yet incorporated all the 1:55 drawings into the drawing search pages above. The remaining drawings are still listed on the older 1:55 pages:
Requests and Progress
- Website Building—How I created this site
- Drawing Accuracy—How accurate are the drawings?
- Drawing History—Early drawing history and a detailed look at what's behind the 1:55, 1:36 and other series
- Creating the Drawings—The making of the drawings behind the scenes
- Locomotive Phases and Rosters—Different versions of the same locomotive model
- Locomotive Dimensions and Measurements
- Locomotive Components
About the Drawings
- All of my drawings, painted or undecorated, are of real locomotives and rolling stock.
- All of my completed drawings are online, and they exist only as they appear here; I have no higher-resolution or vector versions.
- Contributed drawings from previous years (2006 and earlier) are online, but I no longer post new contributions.
- I do take requests for new drawings. I can never guarantee their completion, but I try to fill them out regularly.
Personal Use: The drawings are free for all personal uses at no cost. My written permission is not necessary for personal use.
Non-personal use: Please contact me for any form of non-personal use of the drawings, such as display on other websites. Commercial use of the drawings is prohibited without my permission.
Check out the Links page for websites with other drawings, including modified versions of the drawings posted on this site.
Any non-personal use of contributed drawings requires permission from the original artists. Email me if you would like to contact them.