Scale Train Drawings
Welcome to the Trainiax drawings page! This is a collection of drawings that I have been working on since late 2000.
In the last couple of days I've focused my attention on the EMD 50 series, adding new SD50 drawings and working on completely revamping the GP50 and SD50 pages in the Locomotive Descriptions and Phases section (which had rudimentary text descriptions dating from more than 15 years ago).
While the drawings themselves are only receiving minor updates, I did discover that the "GP50L" designation commonly applied to BN GP50's with a larger cab (numbered 3158-3162) was in fact an internal BN designation for all GP50's in the 3110-3162 series equipped with the LARS telemetry system - and that no such model name was given by EMD. Sometimes errors can propagate and linger for a long time!
I haven't yet incorporated all the 1:55 drawings into the drawing search pages above. The remaining drawings are still listed on the older 1:55 pages:
Requests and Progress
- Website Building—How I created this site
- Drawing Accuracy—How accurate are the drawings?
- Drawing History—Early drawing history and a detailed look at what's behind the various scales
- Creating the Drawings—The making of the drawings behind the scenes
About the Drawings
- All of my drawings, painted or undecorated, are of real locomotives and rolling stock.
- All of my completed drawings are online, and they exist only as they appear here; I have no higher-resolution or vector versions.
- I do take requests for new drawings. I can never guarantee their completion, but I try to fill them out regularly.
My drawings would not be possible without the extensive contributions from many site viewers sharing photos, diagrams, phase details or corrections, and I am very belatedly publicly sharing my gratitude to those who have helped. (If you've sent me stuff and you're not on the list, please remind me!)
A special thank-you to
- Brian Bennett - who shared a supremely detailed SD40-2 roster with me that formed the basis for my drawings and phase descriptions of the entire EMD Dash-2 series
- Bruce Bridges - who has helped with innumerable roster details and spotting features, and without whom my drawings would contain at least 3 times as many errors or omissions
- Nick O'Dell - who shared extensive CSXT paint and lettering information and many locomotive detail photos
- Jones Rana - who sent me a huge collection of reference photos and drawings, including many ALCO mechanical diagrams
- James Walton - who forwarded a collection of nearly 2,000 detail photos that were invaluable in drawing several Canadian locomotive models
Thanks also to
- Philip Bushdiecker
- Jon Clark
- Dave Queener
- Bishop Smith
- Wayne Snyder
- Joseph J. Thomson
- Fernando Uribe
- Nick Wilson
The drawings are freely available for personal use. For any forms of non-personal use (such as display on other websites) I would ask the following:
- Please provide credit in some way, such as my name and/or the URL of the Trainiax site.
- Please indicate if a drawing has been modified, such as adding to or modifying the label under the drawing. I count on unmodified labels to be indicative of my original drawings. (If you would like to match the original text, it's Arial 10 or 12 pt).
Check out the Links page for websites with other drawings, including modified versions of the drawings posted on this site.